Saturday, August 16, 2008

Aunt Ruthie's Carrot Cake

I LOVE a recipe that has been passed down through generations...and is good. This recipe came from The Farmer's Aunt Ruthie who recently passed away. Although I did not know her very well, every story I hear about her is fun and full of laughter. This cake is wonderful!!
Aunt Ruthies' Carrot Cake
3 eggs
1 1/2 c. oil
2 c. sugar
1 small can of crushed pineapple
3 c. flour
2 t. baking soda
1 t. salt
2 t. cinnamon
1 c. coconut
3 c. grated carrots
1 t. vanilla
1 c. chopped pecans
Beat together eggs, oil, and sugar. Add pineapple and mix. Stir in carrots, vanilla, coconut and nuts. Mix well. I like to add 2 T. ground flax seed (I try to sneak it in anywhere I can). Pour into 2 9 inch cake pans that have been oiled and floured. Bake at 350 degrees for 40-60 minutes. When cool, frost with Cream Cheese Frosting.
Cream Cheese Frosting
1 8oz. pkg. of cream cheese
1/2 cube butter, softened
2 t. vanilla
1 box of powdered sugar.
Beat all together until smooth and creamy.

2 comments:

La Cuisine d'Helene said...

I just discovered your blog. I will be following you. Great carrot cake recipe.

Andrea at Nummy Kitchen said...

I love a recipe that has been passed down too, it's almost magical thinking of generations past making and enjoying the same foods we can make today. That carrot cake looks amazing, yum!!