Wednesday, September 10, 2008

I'm A Barefoot Blogger!

I recently joined Barefoot Bloggers...because..yes..I am obsessed with Ina Garten! I love her! Especially her deep laugh and sheer pleasure of food and Jeffery! So I am pleased that my first entry with the Bloggers is none other than "GROWN UP MAC AND CHEESE." Another favorite of mine. I did make a few changes because I did not have the same cheeses on hand, but it is amazing none the less. I look forward to all Ina recipes, fun cooking ahead!
Grown Up Mac and Cheese
1 lb. elbow pasta
salt
6 T. butter
1 med. clove of garlic, pressed
1 t. dry mustard
1/4 t. cayanne pepper
6 T. flour
1 3/4 c. chicken broth
3 1/2 c. whole milk
16 oz. colby cheese
8 oz. extra sharp cheddar cheese
fresh ground pepper
Topping:
4 slices of white bread
2 T. butter
Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Prepare pasta as directed on box adding 1 T. of salt to water. Drain pasta. In another pot melt butter over medium heat. Add garlic, mustard and cayanne pepper, cook until fragrant. Add flour, cook, stiring constantly for about 1 minute. Slowly wisk in chicken broth and milk, bring to a simmer. Stir until slightly thickened. Add cheeses and pepper. Season with salt to taste. Pour over cooked pasta and mix well. Pour into a 9x13 pan. Make topping by crumbing the bread and butter in food procesor. Top pasta with bread crumbs and bake to 25 to 30 minutes. Let cool for 10 minutes before serving.
*I chose not to add bacon, it seemed like it would be too greasy. It was awesome without it!

5 comments:

Melissa said...

Welcome! This was great, wasn't it?!?!

Suzie said...

What a great way to start - lovely recipe wasn't it?

Prudy said...

Cayenne and mustard sounds like a better for you and better tasting addition than bacon in my book. WElcome to BB, glad I have a good reason to come by often.

Anonymous said...

Welcome to the group! Can't wait to see what you dish up in the coming months.
~Cat

Tami said...

I could just drive right into this dish it looks so delicious!!!