Sunday, July 13, 2008

Grandma Elma's Squash Casserole

Did I mention that I love zucchini? And it a good thing because it is that time of year in our garden. I really do wait for zucchini season to begin. We have it for breakfast, lunch, and dinner. Often time in our desserts too. That will be another post. The Farmer's grandma is a wonderful lady and a fantastic gardener. This is her recipe with my own twist. A recipe that the whole immediate and extended family makes and enjoys.



Grandma Elma's Squash Casserole
3-4 medium zucchini, roughly chopped
2-3 large carrots, roughly chopped
1 med. onion, finely diced
2 T. butter
1-2 cloves of garlic, minced
1 c. water
1 can cream of mushroom soup
1 c. sour cream
2 c. dry stuffing mix, browned in 1 T. butter
1 1/2 c. cheese
1 T. chicken boullion (caldo de pollo in Mexico)
salt and pepper

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. In a stock pot, sautee onion and garlic in butter. Add diced squash, carrots, water and chicken boullion. Bring to a boil and cook for 5-8 minutes, vegetables should be soft but not over cooked. When vegetables are done, drain off liquid and pour into a large bowl. Add soup, sour cream and salt and pepper to taste. Mix well and pour half of mixture into a greased 9 x 13 pan. Top with half of browned stuffing mixture and half of cheese. (Any cheese is good. Sometimes I use mozarella, sometimes cheddar. This particular time I used a combination of parmesan cheese and mozarella cheese). Repeat with remaining squash mixture, stuffing and cheese. Bake for 20-30 minutes, or until it begins to bubble. This is a summer staple in our home, and a great way to link generations through food.

3 comments:

Rachelle Vernon Jones said...

ooooo i love your layer idea! how bout you hook us up with your bounty of squash? i haven't even had one bite yet this summer. and now i have a craving for this one casserole. . . i also love the look you did with the carrots cut instead of grated. looks so yummy!

Susie Homemaker said...

oooops. I just tagged you. check out my blog and see what you are in for...have a good one!

Ann said...

This casserole looks really good, I have some squash sitting on my counter and I’ve been wonder what to do with them, this will be perfect. I have been to your blog a few times and really like your recipes. I’m adding you to my favorites list